Sunday, February 27, 2011

Growing Pains

The one thing that has attracted me to the emerging media industry so strongly in the last few months is the sense of opportunity that surrounds it. As I've gotten deeper and deeper into the "social media" world (quotations because that means so many different things to so many different people) the more I've realized that nobody really has any clue what they are doing yet--or if there is someone who knows what they're doing, you have to look really, really hard to find them. Many PR and advertising firms have just sort of ad-hoc added social media to their repertoire of skills without taking into consideration what that really means, much less putting in place metrics to figure out how they're doing and what success really means. It feels like we're coming into (or are we already there?) a new age of how companies and consumers relate to one another, and it's really exciting.

That being said, considering the importance that social media is going to have in the coming years, it is shocking that UNC isn't taking steps to address it in its academic curriculum. I have heard of two classes that address it in depth, both taught by Gary Kayye, and both through the Journalism School. Even at the conference I attended on Sunday, the attendees kept being generalized as "PR and journalism students". It made me want to raise my hand and point out that other people besides those in the J-School were concerned with social media and the direction it was taking.

The topic was mostly given lip-service in my intro to marketing class. And with good reason; why should we expect professors to teach us about topics that 90% of companies and corporations have yet to figure out?



UNC's SMART conference was extremely informative, and I applaud and am appreciative of all the hard work by UNC faculty and students that made the event happen, as well as the multitude of talented speakers that were in attendance. However, I think it kind of missed the point. Where was the in-depth discussion of how businesses were using the technology? Metrics for success? Explanations for how non-profits with little in the way of marketing budgets can use technologies to connect with audiences? The conference was caught between explaining the uses of the various platforms as a whole and describing how to best leverage these tools to find a job. As a result, it did neither exceptionally well.

I understand that any event put on by University Career Services is going to have a career-finding slant. However, I feel that either the event needs to be taken in a drastically different (and more advanced) direction or call itself what it is: a resume-writing workshop with an emphasis on social media. Perhaps groups other than UCS should put it on. I'm not sure. However, I have a couple of specific reccomendations:

1. Skip the baby stuff.
I was a bit surprised when the keynote speaker opened the conference by explaining that Facebook had been started in 2006. Perhaps such exposition is necessary when he explains emerging media to CEOs and directors of marketing, but as students who have had access to the internet for virtually all of our academic lives, we need no introduction to what was going on in 2007. I think that it should be assumed that all those in attendance of a social media conference have at the very least a working understanding of these different tools and what they mean.

2. Focus on opportunities in the future of social media and discuss forward-thinking strategies.
This space is changing so much every day that it is of little use to discuss what social media is. It is much more prudent and useful to discuss what it will be. To be fair, the last panel discussed "the future of social media", but it seemed rather general and without direction--one cost of having five panelists sit on an hour-long panel. Too many cooks, if you will. I was also surprised to find that metrics of measuring return on investment weren't mentioned unless it was asked about. As a topic that is on the mind of every marketer currently in this space, I thought it deserved a bit more space in the conversation.

3. Address the needs of students outside of the PR/Journalism field.
Social media is affecting every single industry, period. To narrowly think that the only students who benefit from such advanced knowledge are those who want to work for PR firms is not only short-sighted but somewhat offensive. Where was the panel on how nonprofits can benefit? What about the changing landscape of business-to-business enterprise?

I understand that this was the first-ever conference of this type that was held on UNC's campus, and it is completely possible (and probably even likely) that I am being overly critical. The event did get a lot of things right. It was well-run, the event staff was incredibly friendly, the audience did a great job of having its own conversation via the event hashtag (#uncsmart), and the speakers were on-time and excited to be a part of the conference. Every event has positives and room for improvement, and the narrow nature of the conference was simply symptomatic of that of the educational system as a whole with regards to this topic. Where are the emerging media majors? Where are the classes, within both the business school and the journalism school, dealing with social media? Why aren't more clubs taking the initiative to put on events such as this one? These are questions we all need to be asking ourselves as we look at the wild west of marketing and communication.

Like I said before, the thing that attracts me to this industry is the incredible sense of opportunity that seems waiting to be discovered in it. It should not surprise me that conferences such as these strike me the same way; nobody has gotten it quite right yet, and I am thrilled at the opportunity to do it better.

--Taylor
hot and heavy, pumpkin pie, chocolate candy, Jesus Christ

11 comments:

  1. Taylor - very thorough post here. I like that you take a critical look at the industry as a whole. It's also nice to hear feedback on the #UNCsmart conference since I wasn't there in person. I think that you address some key issues in the social media space here - mainly that many ad agencies and PR firms are going about it haphazard. They're adding it to their list of capabilities without understanding how to create and implement an effective, measurable, ROI-driven strategy that's integrated with the rest of their marketing initiatives. I agree, the industry is ripe with opportunity, part of why I love working in this field so much.
    Great post.
    -Morgan Siem, Media Two Interactive

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Taylor -
    I hear your concerns and suggestions. Having a one day "Social Media" conference is not an easy thing with so much information to cover and addressing an audience with differing degrees of experience at utilizing social media. As a first time event, I think it was a good start. As far as metrics goes, that subject alone will be the focus of a whole day program at UNC on Saturday, March 12th and I hope you will commit the time to attend. It should be very dense in content. It will also be a great place to network. Here is the link to register.
    http://analyticscampnc2011.eventbrite.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morgan,

    Thank you very much for your feedback and kind words. I was hesitant to post on this subject matter because I did not want to come across as a know-it-all, even if that's probably what happened. We all still have a lot of learning to do in this space and I am excited to see the developments that occur in the coming months and years.

    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet,
    I agree, the SMART conference was definitely a great start for a brand-new event without precedent in the area, and I am excited to see how it develops over the coming years--it is something that I would want to help with next year as a senior. Thank you for alerting me to this conference. Unfortunately I will be out of the country during Spring Break and I am not sure if I will be able to be in attendance, which is disappointing as much of my coursework this semester concerns investigating different measures of ROI for social media. I would love to stay in touch and get a recap on the topics discussed there.

    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Taylor. I completely agree that there is a dearth of opportunities that are tackling these topics here at UNC. It's a shame more isn't being done. That was part of my motivation for trying to fill at least some of that gap with SMART.

    The biggest challenge I faced: When students registered for the event, they were asked to self-identify whether they were "basic/intermediate" users or "advanced/expert" users. 75% of the registrants indicated "basic/intermediate." So, some of the content was driven by that perspective. Unfortunately there was a big drop-off in conversion from registration to attendance, and I wonder if more of the basic/intermediate folks were the ones who didn't come. That analysis has yet to be done.

    But, with attendance being so unpredictable, it makes content planning much harder! We didn't get everything right, by any means. But, I think it was a decent start. Hopefully others on campus will take steps to fill other gaps, and hopefully we can continue to push in that direction as an office.

    All that said, there is definitely room to grow with this event, and hopefully there is enough interest to warrant doing more, doing it better and hitting other topics. I'd love your involvement in helping create future events.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH... one other quick note. The event wasn't *supposed* to have a career perspective. That was something that just happened. I don't know if the presenters just made that assumption, or if it was guided by some of the questions being asked.

    The topics were actually chosen by representatives of CarolinaPRSSA, BSBA Marketing Club, and ISSUE. But, there's plenty of room for more voices from UNC on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gary,

    Thank you for your feedback. I agree that SMART was a great event, and the bulk of my frustration lies not in SMART's focus or target audience but in UNC's failure as an entity to address some of these issues and provide a sounding board for students who are interested in this topic to have conversations with like-minded individuals. I appreciate all your hard work in planning the event and did not intend to slight that effort in any way.

    There is probably a lot of room for segmentation within a conference such as this, or perhaps even having multiple conferences for students of different skill levels and interests. It is definitely something that I would love to explore with you.

    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great point, that makes sense--probably just my own biases entering the conversation in viewing the conference as a UCS-organized event. I would love to get organizations such as the Campus Y involved to present a non-profit's perspective on these tools.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Taylor -- no problem at all. I didn't feel slighted in the least. During the event there were some obvious things that were working and some that were "missing." But, I guess everything has to start somewhere! So, for a "first time," I'm going to call it more success than failure. :)

    Let's meet to chat. Shoot me an email!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Taylor for the insight: a few points of texture from my lens:

    1) companies are weary of the tech implications for social bc they've already been sold, and invested in legacy systems elsewhere that did not pan out (a true bubble?)

    2) return on investment/operations: from a media standpoint, until marketing orgs can fit social media impressions onto the attribution model, which can't currently be done effectively (no event horizon to build regression, etc), it will be thrown into an emerging media bucket. Which is sparse.

    Money is invested in media (from a marcom standpoint) and right now there are exotic tools for measuring, but not comparitive tools.

    ReplyDelete
  11. DJ,

    1) I think that companies are underestimating the effect that social media is having on the way they interact with their customers. Consumers will never go back to being fed messages--a two-way dialog is here to stay.

    2) I agree that it is incredibly hard (and currently, arguably, impossible) to fit social media impressions into traditional attribution models. However, a lot of people still aren't even talking about trying to measure it.

    I don't think a dearth of comparative tools is a good reason for companies to avoid entering the social media space to begin experimenting and at least try to measure their results in some form or fashion.

    -Taylor

    ReplyDelete