Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Pauly D Bashes Miracle Whip, Kraft Aims to Whip Up Supporters

I've never professed to be a fan of Jersey Shore. I think it's fascinating from a purely academic and pop-cultural standpoint, but the actual people involved in the creation of the show disgust me (full disclosure: I must admit that I am incredibly jealous/depressed that Snooki is a New York Times best selling author, thereby making her more successful from a commercial writing standpoint than I will ever be). Even more fascinating is that Miracle Whip has enlisted the aid of one Pauly D in order to sell its product.



Apparently, Miracle Whip is not up to Jersey standards. This is an interesting campaign: on one hand, Miracle Whip is actually paying a celebrity to bash its product on an open forum for discussion. On the other hand, why would any company want to be approved of by a Jersey Shore cast member.

I hate mayonnaise (or "sandwich spread", as Miracle Whip prefers to be called, as it can also be used as salad dressing) and have never purchased any for myself, so I personally cannot speak to the quality of Miracle Whip. However, the fact that Pauly D hates it makes me like Miracle Whip more. After all, the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Miracle Whip has invited viewers to comment on its YouTube page expressing either their undying love or burning hatred for Miracle Whip. With 76,000 views as of this writing, it will be interesting to see whether Kraft can spark the sort of discussion/argument they seem to be picking. Might Miracle Whip supporters take to the streets in support of their beloved spread? Mount an internet campaign against Pauly D? Let's see just how passionate mayonnaise fans are.

No comments:

Post a Comment